Thursday, March 18, 2010

Journal 6 - Google Earth - NETS 5

Google Earth is a map with superimposed satelite images.  Some images are available in 3D, and in some areas "street view" is available.   Users may search for addresses (for some countries), navigate the map with the mouse or enter coordinates.  There is also sky mode and historical imagery view.

There were two threads on the Classroom 2.0 website, the first being "Cross-curricular uses of Google Earth". The discussion generator had used the tool in his math class measuring distances in miles and kilometers. They also used it to plot a historic typhoon, and to plan a mock search and rescue of a missing person. Other ideas for the math class were working with population figures or longitude and latitude coordinates. One teacher was using it in ecology/biology to visit the various biomes of the world. It was used in a literature class to visit places discussed in a novel, and this looks like a good resource. Google Earth has been implemented in Science and History lessons to visit sites discussed, and another idea for Math was to make a 3-D model of the school to learn about scale, measurement, angle and geometric shapes. These sites were also offered up as alternatives to using Google Earth.

The second forum discussion was about this. Teachers seemed to agree that these ideas would help students understand the meaning and purpose of the math concepts they are learning in the classroom. Making information useful is important for students!

6 comments:

  1. I looked at the website, realworldmath.org, posted by someone on one of the threads in Clasroom 2.0 and I was blown away by the lessons that were on there. Using google earth in a math class seems like a great way to get the students excited about learning and seeing how it is relevant to their world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    Is Google Earth an innovative approach to boring old Geography?! It seems like a very cool technology tool that could certainly make Geography a more exciting subject in school. Could Google Earth also be used in Social Studies classes?

    Thanks for sharing your Google Earth knowledge with us!

    Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about Google Earth. I definitely would like to know more about it, as this is a site my Kindergartner even knows about. I'd like to use this for geography lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Google Earth. In fact I have literally spent hours looking for different things on our planet like the floating trash pile in the Pacific Ocean, my village in Zambia, my parents house, crop circles and pyramids. It is fantastic Geography resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Earth is something I enjoy playing with. I once found my dog in my front yard, door wide open and flowers in bloom. I like the ideas about using it for geography lessons. What an awesome way to bring new perspective to boring old maps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its pretty cool how teachers are using this Google Earth. I know the first time I used it a year or two ago I was amazed how they were able to zoom in on my house. I know the student's must have a blast in history and science classes!

    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete